Sunday, August 30, 2009

Palacios


I’m not exactly sure why my friend Dustin Sisk loves Palacios, Texas as much as he does. Maybe it’s the Victorian style homes that are in need of restoration, the mountain of fajitas for nine dollars at Palacios Mexican Restaurant, or that Palacios is the shrimp capital of Texas. It can’t be Buttermilk slough. This is a secluded marsh in Palacios with limited access and a healthy population of redfish. It is a little too muddy and turbid for my preference. Sight-casting has to be done to whatever exposed body parts and wakes may appear, and most of the marsh is difficult to wade. I’ve been here twice now and though the fajitas were awesome, I’d like to end my making of fond memories of this forsaken place here.
I’m stilled trying to get accustom to shooting photos as much as I fish, and I'm slowly becoming better acquainted with my Nikon D70. My new Pelican 1450 case with padded, velcro adjustable dividers has made it a lot easier to keep my equipment dry and accessible. I did manage to pick up the camera and not the fly rod once. That’s a start.