Monday, July 12, 2010

High Water at Wilson's


When the usual spots get flooded with a post-tropical depression surge, it doesn't always go way as fast as it came in. Such an event made fishing a little challenging this past weekend, but we managed to pull in both red and black drum on the fly.
A lot of my friends know that I fish Wilson's Cut in Port Aransas a lot. I also like the Lighthouse Lake Trails, Brown & Root, South Bay, and lots of the back side of St. Joe. I know that these are the most popular flats in Port Aransas, but until they run out of fish, I may not look much further. I do make it a point to explore new areas when I have the chance, and I mix things up with an occasional Jetty or near-off-shore trip. My point is this; even these common areas provide class V fly fishing experiences once in a while. Try them on a weekday or explore these areas a little deeper. Just don't buy into it if someone tells you that there are not a lot of fish to be found in the Port Aransas area, because it just aint true. To improve your odds, be aware of what the tides are doing and where the water levels are. Now, get out there!