Friday, June 25, 2010

Super Fluke Rig


Last year my friends at Saltyshores turned me on to these Owner Twistlock hooks. As far as I know, Owner offers sizes 1/0 and 2/0 unweighted, and sizes 3/0 and up in weighted or unweighted. This is why I use the pinch on sinkers. The Zoom brand Super Fluke Jr. is size that I prefer for throwing with my G. Loomis Escape spinning rod, and this is the set up I've been using for redfish, bass, snook, trout, and more. Don't be fooled by the weight. It's only 1/32 oz. I still pinch one on for sight casting in shallow water, and it's what gives the bait good action.

Rigging is easy. I twist the cork-screw wire into the nose of the soft plastic all the way, and just to the point where the hook can swing in line with the bait. Then I position the hook to the side of the bait in order to visualize the point of entry through the body. Push the point of the hook through the split belly of the bait. The point of the hook is now just above the dorsal side. About 1/8'' should be buried back into the dorsal side to become weedless; not deep, but very shallow. This is not a Texas rig and the point should not be burried deep in the bait! Your rig also should not deform the bait. Now add the pinch on sinker using needle nose pliers but don't over pinch it. I sometimes just add them on with my fingers. The weedless bait should look like the one above.
I recommend light spinning tackle, as you would use for bass. I also recommend about 15" of mono leader tied on between the bait and main line (whether you use braid or monofilament on the reel). I use power pro braid, so to avoid breaking my leader or rod, I set my drag so that I hear it give a little at the hook set and on a hard run. Bass assassins and other soft plastic designs work well, just as long as they have that split belly feature. Good luck!