Sunday, October 25, 2009

Plan B, Redfish


A devastating and unfortunate event the red tide is. Within the past two weeks it has killed hundreds of thousands of fish in the Gulf of Mexico, including redfish, snook, and tarpon. It is considered a natural occurrence, though how can anything but the shaking earth and the falling stars be considered natural in the world we live in today? I had been planning on five day tarpon quest in Port Isabel with Shad Goldston but we had to cancel at the last minute due to this plague. Much of the areas we would have fished have been affected. I expect the conditions to improve by November.

I did however make a small trip to Port Aransas for the weekend. I found that the high tide flooded the usual flats so I had to go to a few high water spots. Would you believe that I took my mother to a backwater labyrinth of mangroves? I put her in my kayak and walked with her as we hunted redfish. I would tell her where to cast and in smaller windows of opportunity I would just cast first. We caught a lot of redfish and had a ton of fun. She had no idea such a place existed much less that we would find redfish there. we covered about five miles and when the tide had fallen significantly, so had the number of fish.