Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A trip to the Medina


Brady and I headed out to the Medina River after all this rain, and It was epic! It was a beautiful day on this Texas river. Overcast and a mist in the air during the morning hours and the sun didn’t peak out until early evening. No bass over a pound and a half but the first two casts of the day hooked up and then steady action all day long. Brady did actually hook and land a three pound bass but it was not healthy. It had the head of an eight pounder and the body of a two pounder. I won’t even show it to you.

When most Texas fly guys and gals head out for the white bass run I usually come here for hybrid stripers. They average two and a half pounds and fight hard as hell. This spring was tough due to the low water levels, but this fall excursion surprised me with the best hybrid action I’ve ever experienced. I absolutely do not keep any of these fish, and that is to ensure good fishing for days ahead. This is something that is hard to teach others depending on what they learned early in life. Our children are our (fishing) future. Oh, and that's a clouser not a moustache!

The carp took a page right out of the redfish book! We saw carp tailing, they took flies readily, and they fought hard. I remember I was some place when I saw some goldfish in an aquarium feeding on the bottom, and I thought “look! They’re tailing!” I have brought a few people to my carp on the fly spot on the Medina River, but not many. Again, what keeps it good is the lack of fishing pressure. The carp here brows the shallows looking for whatever to eat, and this is the only place I’ve seen them actually chase flies. I even caught one on a clouser here once. Brady and I anticipated a good day for carp. from the driver’s seat of the canoe I put him on more than a dozen sight casting shots at carp which he hooked nearly all of them. This is not always the case. Poor presentation here does not produce a hookup. It is as technical as any other sight casting game.