Monday, August 16, 2010

Port Mansfield


I have never outright forgot my camera case until this trip, but a big thanks to Lonnie for being prepared with his waterproof point and shoot camera. Bernie, Lonnie and I launched kayaks off the south jetty at Port Mansfield this past Sunday, and did battle with 5 species of fish (tarpon, trout, redfish, snook, and ladyfish). I had my 10 weight fly rod rigged and ready, but without any indication of my target species I opted to throw buck tail and soft plastic jigs. Being somewhat of a purist in fly fishing, I thought all soft plastics were created equal, and I felt that I'd never need the additional help of scented products when sight casting these bombs to fish. Berkley Gulp has changed my mind.
Bernie threw a Gulp shrimp and concentrated on a smaller area than Lonnie I, and that proved to be most productive. Lonnie threw in more open water and got a lot more ladyfish activity than Bernie and me. I was all over the place, looking for signs of the silver king. To my credit, I did jump one small tarpon (small meaning about 20 lbs.).