Thursday, May 6, 2010

Operation Low Tide


Last week Port Aransas was blessed with several days of prime sight casting conditions. The day that we went, there was not a cloud in the sky and the wind was a mild breeze. The tides were low, so, we had to adjust the game plan. Harrison Nash and I noticed that the tide was coming in strong by late morning, but the usual flats never came up enough. We headed north towards middle pass and found a shoreline that had a good number of fish on it. Most of the redfish were small, but there were plenty of them.

This was the second time I had used my zodiac inflatable boat for flats fishing. Some of the places I like to go are just too far to paddle the kayaks. I just anchored the boat, got out, and waded. Later that afternoon I did something I thought I'd never do. I ran this boat on the flats. I was amazed how shallow this little boat would run when on plane. I just didn't want to run out of water or run into something that might damage the pontoons. It was flawless.

Toward the end of the day the redfish seemed a little more spread out, so we drifted a few areas with potholes. This, again, was a first for the zodiac. I left the outboard down in order to prevent getting too shallow. Harrison and I finished the day off by sight casting with soft plastics to redfish. We even picked up one small black drum. If I had to do anything different I think I would have packed less gear on the boat. Less is definitely more, and lighter too!