Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chip Evans Flies


I am a pretty good fly tyer, and I can do about any fly. However, I now only do flies that I am good at and that I enjoy doing. That leaves out the real small stuff and the deer hair. Thank goodness I have enough small flies, and I have Chip Evans. "Chipper" is what most folks call him, but his daddy named him Roy. I've known Chip for about ten years and I've fished with him quite a bit. His spun deer hair (SDH) flies are a joy just to hold in your hand and look at. I hate to get the new ones wet, much less crushed by a redfish or bass. These here in the photo don't show the true stacking ability that chip has with multi-color deer hair flies. These are ones that I've special requested over time. These two on the top left are new SDH poppers that I cannot wait to fish. The bottom left are SDH divers, Dahlberg's, that work well in fresh or saltwater. The top right flies are Chip's "Super Fly". These are a little larger than his river size but I requested these for trout and redfish. Finally, these beauties on the bottom right are his fat-head minnows and EP Minnows. Pacific Fly Group of California reproduces the fat-head minnow and distributes them to fly shops all over the US. Some of Chip's original patterns are available at Gruene Outfitters and Sportsman's Finest. Other popular patterns of Chip's are the peeper frog, the swimming lizard, and the river craw. Chip's peeper frog and river craw can be seen in the fly gallery on our home site.
If you want to throw immaculate looking, well performing, and long lasting custom flies, contact Chipper while he's got some winter down time left. I've got my order placed.